Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Biggest Loser.

I was reading and watching, catching up on the news as I really don’t get to watch TV all that much anymore. All over it was about Rachel from The Biggest Loser, who just won. A show that is about losing weight (obviously). But now they are bashing Rachel for losing TOO much weight. Throwing around words like anorexia. I’m sorry, but coming from someone who has been there, done that, that is NOT a word you throw around loosely. She went in weighing 260 pounds and lost 155, she lost 59.62% of her body weight. There are so many comments about how sickly she looks and how she is unhealthy and on and on and on. I highly doubt any of these comments are coming from people who know Rachel on a personal level, who are with her on a daily basis. It infuriates me to read such comments. You don’t know her, you don’t see what she eats every day and you don’t know what type of exercise or how much she is doing. What gives people the right to comment on how skinny she is? You wouldn't tell someone they were too fat, would you? Why does it make it ok when you are talking about someone being too skinny? When I was at my smallest, I had people tell me I was too thin and it hurt to hear that-whether it was true or not, it hurt. Or "Go eat a cheeseburger". You wouldn't say "go eat some celery" to an overweight person would you? I just don't understand why people think it's ok to put down others regardless: skinny, overweight, tall, short, blind, deaf, black, purple or white. We all have feelings that get hurt.

If you can’t tell, this is something that just gets under my skin. There is no difference in criticizing someone for being too fat or too skinny. There’s none. Skinny people have feelings too.

We don’t know if she lost all of the weight in an unhealthy manner. We can’t be so quick to judge and to jump on the anorexia blaming bandwagon. We are in NO place to judge anyone. I don’t think anyone would want to be treated the way she is being treated and talked about.


Just think before speak. Know the facts before you speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment