Saturday, February 8, 2014

In-laws


Tonight, I took the kids to my in-laws. They hadn’t seen them in a while and asked if they could spend the night. Stephen had to work so I took them out there. I hadn’t planned on staying too long. I was going to drop them off come home, soak in the bathtub, lounge around-you get the idea. But my mother-in-law and I started talking and we just fell into conversation. We usually do, but tonight I really enjoyed it. And to be honest the more I thought about the more I didn’t want to come home to an empty house, the dogs are here but sometimes that’s just not the same.

I didn’t really think much of it until I was on the way home. I have thought about this before, but I have an amazing relationship with my in-laws. It has been so easy since day one. I remember how welcoming they were. How they opened their arms and their home to me. I didn’t live at home when I met my husband, so getting invited almost every night to a home cooked meal was incredible. My MIL  and I instantly hit it off because we had at least one thing in common at the time-running. One of our (my husband and I’s) first few dates was a 24 hour run. I loved getting invited to go running with her and her group of friends and my sister-in-laws.  

I know there a lot of people out there who don’t have the best relationships with their in-laws. Who can’t be with them if their spouse isn’t with them. I am so thankful for the relationship we have. That I can go over there and hang out with them for hours and my husband not have to be there. I am thankful that we are able to go running together and carry on easy conversation. I know I am not her child, but she treats me like her own. I am thankful that I can be around them and that I enjoy it. The old saying when you marry someone, you marry the family. I think some of that is true. And I’m ok with it. I feel blessed to have gotten the in-laws I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment